Romans Chapter 6
- Unified with Christ, death, burial, resurrection and future glory.
- From slaves unto sin to slaves unto righteousness
- Once we obeyed the call of the sinful nature, now we obey the call of Jesus.
4 Questions asked in Romans 7 (v1, v7, v13, v 24)
Marriage to illustrate death to the Law (v1 – 3)
- Marriage is covenant that the Jews and experts at the laws are familiar with.
- Law only has power on someone who is alive.
- We who are unified in Christ has our old self died on the cross with Jesus
Marriage to illustrate life with Christ
- Death to the law to belong to Christ.
- One purpose of marriage is to bear good fruit
- our sinful nature bore fruits of death (v5)
- Marriage requires that we change for the better for our partner
- Once we worshiped in a fleshly, earthly way, now we are to do so in a spiritual way(v6)
The Law is good
- Law shows what is sin and can point out what is sin.
- The law was meant to give life. (v10) (Deut. 30:16)
- The law comes from God it is Holy (v12), it is spiritual (v14)
- Sin, not law, is what causes death.
- The law did not fail, our flesh, our bodies failed. (v5)
- The law does not have the power to clean someone or wash someone of sin.
Living in the flesh
- What the law tells us to do, we rebel against( v7-8, v21)
- When Sin lives, we die (v9)
- Flesh and spirit opposed (Gal 5:17)
Living in the spirit
- Answer is not a how… its a who! Jesus Christ. (v25)
- Crucified with Christ (Gal 5:24)
- Even those justified face the struggles of sin.
- Paul said of himself as unspiritual (v14)
- Church of Corinth (1 Corinthians 3:1)
- Everyone sins even Christians(1 John 1:8 – 1:10)
- Christians ideally would not habitually sin. They will repent.
- Solution is to live by the Spirit (Gal 5:16)
- Keep in step with the Spirit (Gal 5:25)
- Spirit will lead you to bear fruits (Gal 5)